Doordarshan Kendra Chennai’s (சென்னை தொலைக்காட்சி நிலையம்) Regional satellite Network, DD-5, was launched on 15 April 1993. This service is viewed in India and some parts of the world. DD-5 took a new identity in Tamil and was renamed DD Podhigai on 15 January 2000.
History of Channel Name
The name Podhigai was suggested by the viewers themselves. It is named after Podhigai Hills situated in Tirunelveli district. This hill range is part of Western Ghats of Southern India. This hill range is famous for its association with Sage Agasthya. Legend has it that Agastya created Tamil in this hill. River Tamirabarani originates here.
The channel offers a variety of programmes with serials, films, infotainment programmes, news and current affairs being most prominent. It is the only regional language satellite channel with terrestrial transmission. Terrestrial transmission is limited to major cities in Tamil Nadu.
As a satellite channel it is 24-hr service. It is up linked to INSAT-3A, C3 transponder. It’s down link frequency is 3831 (V) MHz, Symbol rate 8.6 Msps. Its footprint covers entire southern Asia, from Middle-east to South China sea.
Large Tamil diaspora present in these countries eagerly watch this channel. Though notoriously dull and insipid, its programs are generally devoid of ubiquitous Bollywood sleaze and violence. But, it has its own captive audience for classical music, classical dance & credible news content.
- Pon vilayum Bhoomi – for Farmers MONDAY TO FRIDAY AT 0600 HGS & 1800 HRS
- Kannanin Aramudhu – popular Hindu religious discourse by Sri. U.Ve.Velukkudi Krishnan – CDs of the programme is now available at DD Podhigai
- Kannanin Kadhaiyamudham is the present current programme being telecast at 1830 hrs from monday to friday
- Sriramanin Arulamudham is the programme being telecast in the morning at 0630 hrs # both programmes is being presented by Shri.Velukkudi Krishnan
- Seidhigal – Credible news – telecast timings are 0800, 1000, 1200, 1430, 1700, 1900, 2015 & 2200 in DD Podhigai & Metro Scan in DD News at 1805 hrs
- Asathal Samayal – popular kitchen program. on sundays.
- BSNL Sports Quiz – A very popular sports quiz program running continuously for the past ten years (as on 2011) every Saturday, anchored by Dr. Sumanth C. Raman. In December 2011 it has completed 500 episodes (weekly) and still running.
- Vettriyum Vaazhvum (Victory and Life) Speaker by Sam P. Chelladurai
- Edhiroli (Feedback) is the two member host show where one of the member is reading feedbacks written on postcards from the viewers.
- Vayalum Vaazhvum is the agriculture awareness program most popular in early days.